2

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

I finished reading  The Book Thief a few days ago, and it still lingers with me. When I am in the kitchen making dinner. When I put a load in the washing machine. When I take time out for a coffee. Scenes from the book push their way into my mind and don't seem to want to let go.

I love it though, when a book does that to me. I find that I can't help but make references to it. I talk to people about it, even those who are probably not interested. I think about it, internalise it, try to make sense of it, and what it means to me. How it makes me feel.

 The Book Thief  is based in Nazi Germany during the Second World War. It is a tale about Liesel Meminger a young, illiterate girl, who faces tragedy at the outset; the death of her younger brother whilst on a journey to meet their new foster family. Whilst at his graveside, Liesel discovers a book, half hidden in the snow entitled 'The Gravediggers Handbook'. This is her first find, and her first act of thievery. It is the beginning of a passion for her, a love of books and words, and her desire to steal more. 

The Book Thief, narrated by Death itself, takes us on a journey into Nazi Germany in the prelude to, and during the Second World War. It invites you to see it not only through the eyes of Liesel, but also through the narrative voice of Death. Daily life. Rationing. The Fuhrer. Hitler Youth. The hidden Jew in the basement.  

It is a tale that envelops you in its sincerity, that takes you through the highs and lows of love, trust, faith, happiness, fear, hunger, loss, hatred and despair.

It is an amazing read, and one that will be read by me over and over again. I thoroughly recommend it.

My Rating: 4.5 Stars 

2 comments:

Anonymous

It is such a great book isn't it, I am forever recomending this one. Great post, great blog. I sympathise with the need to talk about books, and read about books, where would we be without blogs!

Herbee-Nana's

Thanks Book pusher! I'd be lost without book blogs. Nice to know there are like minded people out there!

Post a Comment

Siguiente Inicio